Sleeping over at someone else’s house especially when newly diagnosed can seem rather daunting so today I thought I’d share a few tips with you that I do before and during a sleepover, to help me manage my type 1 diabetes.
- let them know before hand. (most likely if you are planning to be staying over at a friends house they already know that you are diabetic, but just make sure to run them through some of the things that entail such as, you may need to do injection at certain times etcetera.)
- Make sure someone in the house has contact details for whoever looks after you in a case of an emergency.
- Let them know what to do in case of an emergency. I’ve seen emergency cards that look like this, which seem like I really good idea to have on yourself, or even to give to people.
- Ask about the food situation. E.g what food they have for breakfast and decided you think it would be a good option to bring some food yourself.
- And lastly depending on what you use to manage your diabetes make sure you have an ample amount of supplies, for example, I make sure to take a decent amount of test strips and needles, the things that you generally need to replace on a daily basis.
Disclaimer: Anything I say regarding diabetes, don’t take it as the holy grail as I am no expert and I’m just trying to figure it out as I go, and if you have any queries make sure to ask your local diabetic team.
That’s all from me for now – Kathryn 🙂