Today I wanted to write about words and saying that you might hear type 1 diabetics say, but you might not quite understand what they are going on about straight away.
Words/ Sayings – Translation
- What’s your blood? – What’s your blood sugar currently?
- I’m low / I’m having a hypo. – My blood sugar in low.
- I’m high / I’m hyper. – My blood sugar in high.
- How much are you doing for that? – How many units of insulin are you dong for that meal or snack
- How much is in that? – How much carb is in that food item?
- Just checking the carb. – Explanatory, but we are checking the to see how many units of insulin they would need to inject themselves with to have that item of food.
I hope you enjoyed this post and I also have a video I filmed on this topic below! Enjoy!
Disclaimer: Anything I say regarding diabetes, don’t take it as the holy grail as I am no expert and I’m just trying to figure it out as I go, and if you have any queries make sure to ask your local diabetic team.
That’s all from me for now – Kathryn 🙂